is connected to your whine bone...

Full width home advertisement

Post Page Advertisement [Top]



Having trouble getting Grand Theft Auto V to run on your 4GB RGH/JTAG Arcade console? Hopefully this tutorial will point you in the right direction. Again, like all my previous tutorials, this one is wordy and meant for beginners. I did include summaries under each step for those who are slightly more advanced :)

Basically, GTA V requires that the 8GB of content of Disc 1 be installed to your console's hard drive. As you well know, we Arcade owners don't have an internal hard drive to work with. So this is a workaround where we install the Disc 1 contents into a separate USB drive formatted to work on your console as a Memory Unit.

Sounds straightforward and there are numerous short tutorials online that show you how to do this. Unfortunately I ran into some snags along the way and had to experiment a bit until I got things working.

MY SETUP

+ XBOX 360 4GB Arcade JTAG/RGH (I was led to believe my console was JTAG but I've also seen signs that it could actually be RGH).
Freestyle Dash 3 running from 500GB external hard drive FAT32-formatted.
+ A separate 16GB USB thumb drive just for the GTA V installation.
DISCLAIMER: If your setup is not exactly or at least very similar to mine, I cannot answer for any errors or damage your console may incur.

REQUIREMENTS

+ 16GB or greater USB Flash Disk/Thumb Drive
+ FAT32 Format - to initially format your USB Drive.
+ XBOX Backup Creator - to extract the ISOs


STEP ONE: Preparing your USB Drive

Summary; Format your USB Drive using the XBOX 360 Dashboard.

- Plug in your USB disk into your XBOX 360 console.
- Don't boot into FS3. Use the default XBOX dashboard.
- Once there, go to Settings > System > Storage, and you should see an item in the list labeled USB Storage Device.
- Highlight USB Storage Device, Press A, and choose Configure Now. Press A through all the warning messages and your drive should be configured as a Memory Unit in a few seconds.


STEP TWO: Extract Disc 1 ISO Using XBOX Backup Creator

Summary: If your USB drive capacity is less than 32GB you need to extract the Disc 1 ISO into a separate FAT32 formatted drive. If you have a 32GB drive or greater, then you can go ahead and extract the files to a temporary folder in that very same drive.

- Open up XBOX Backup Creator on your PC and click on the Image Tools tab. 
- Click on Image Browser. This will open up the XBOX Image Browser sub-app. 
- Click on File then Open Image File. 
- From here navigate to the Disc 1 ISO file you downloaded and click Open. 
- Next, right click on the iso file that appears on the left pane of the app and click on Extract. 

- Now this next step is one of a few that made a difference for me and getting all of this to work. When asked where you want to save the extracted files don't save to your USB drive just yet. What I did was save them to a temporary folder in my 500GB external drive (USB1:\temp\gtav_disc1). You can save the files into any FAT32 formatted external drive. We will transfer these files later in Step Four.


STEP THREE: Extract GTA V Disc 2 ISO

Summary: Extract Disc 2's contents to your regular games location

- Repeat the procedure in step 2 but this time extract the files to where you usually save and run your games (eg. USB1:\games\)

Note: When I tried using ISO2GOD for Disc 2, the game would tell me that "an online profile is required" and it would not proceed from there.


STEP FOUR: Transfer The Files To Your USB Drive

Summary: Transfer the extracted Disc 1 ISO files into the USB Drive using FS3's File Manager Utility.

- Now plug in your USB drives (the one we formatted in step one and the other one where you saved the Disc 1 contents) into your XBOX 360 and boot up into FS3.
- Go to Utilities > File Manager
- On the left pane, navigate to where you extracted the Disc 1 contents (eg. USB1:\temp\gtav_disc1)
- There should be a folder labeled content there
- Now go the right pane of the File Manager utility and navigate to the root folder of your other USB drive (eg. USBMU0) and then go back to the left pane.
- In the left pane, highlight the content folder and press and hold RB. You should see 2 arrows pointing to the right appear near the bottom of he screen. This means you are about to transfer files in that direction, from left to right.
- With RB held, press A to copy the whole folder to your USB drive.

This should take a while since it's 8GB worth of data.


STEP FIVE: Enjoy Grand Theft Auto V

- Once that's done, you should be able to run GTA V from FreeStyle 3 without any hitches!


37 comments:

  1. HI! Are you sure that you copied the 0000000000000000 folder and not the content folder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good catch. Sorry I mixed up my info from another version of the tutorial I was doing. All fixed now, thanks

      Delete
    2. Hi...I'm using xex menu and I just made my drive as system drive and only 4 mb is free how can I copy the contents of disc one ?? Thank you..

      Delete
  2. It is Definitely the "content" folder (next level up) which you must copy to the root of (eg. USBMU0) otherwise this article is spot on. great Job

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,

    Thanks for the tutorial. Question : In Step 3 did you extract Disc 2 directly to \Games, or did you create a new folder in Games before extracting Disc 2 ? If so, whant name did you give it ?

    I extracted Disc 2 directly to \Games. This created a game called "games" in the XBOX. When I activated it, the game started coming up, but right after the opening titles a message saying "fatal crash has occurred" was displayed, and that was about it.

    The only difference I noticed between your configuration and mine is that you downloaded the [COMPLEX] version of the game, whereas I downloaded [QUAK].

    Any input will be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks in advance !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where the files are extracted is (slightly) irrelevant and as long as you tell FS3 where to look for your games, it will work.

      I'm not sure if there is a difference with the COMPLEX and QUAK version but in my many tries in making this work I never encountered a "fatal crash has occured" problem. The worst was the "an online profile is required" issue or my console resetting (this was due to the xbox 360 not being able to find the contents of disc 1 since I saved it in the wrong place initially)

      That being said there should be no harm in trying the COMPLEX version except another 16GB worth of downloading time.

      Delete
    2. Well, when I extracted Disc 2 directly to \Games the game ws apparently recognized (although it showed up as "games"). When I extracted it to a sub-directory it was not discovered - regardless of the name I gave it.

      I will download and try [COMPLEX]. I do not have other ideas of how to make this work :). Thanks anyway !

      Delete
    3. Make sure you setup FS3 to scan 'deep' into your drive. I'm away from my console right now so I can't be precise but it should be in Content Settings. There is an option as to how many subfolders deep it should scan. I max mine out at 10

      So as an example if your drive is setup like "X:\games\new games\really cool games\im a pirate\GTA5\" then a scan setting of 10 will definitely work and will find your GTA5 folder. If you set it at 2 then it will only see until the "really new games" folder

      Hope that helps

      Delete
    4. Thanks for the tip. The depth of scan is under Content Setting -> Game Path Settings. In my case, this screen shows the following 2 entries :

      USB0:\xbox360 Depth of scan 10 [This is a 64 GB disk-on-key where I extracted Disc 1]
      USB0:\Games Depth of scan 10 [This is a 750 GB external HD where I extracted Disc 2 into a directory I called 54508A7]

      I'm not sure whether the fact that USB0 is shown for both devices has any significance.

      At the moment, 6 items appear on the games menu. 3 of these items belong to games that can be properly activated and played. The 3 others are "GTA V Disc 1", "GTA V Disc 2", and "games". These last 3 are apparently leftovers from previous attrempts at installing the game. They can neither be activated nor can they be deleted. Bottom line is that the game is currently not discovered/recognized.....

      Delete
    5. Yes the two drives being referred to as USB0 should matter. that means the system is really just searching ONE drive. From the Game Path Settings you should add another scan path and browse to the other USB drive (should be called USB1 or USB2) and have the system scan there too.

      As for the leftover folders, you can go to your Library in FS3, browse to the duplicate GTA5 games, press Y for options and then delete the ones you dont need or the ones that don't work. Make sure it's the correct ones you are deleting. In my case, I tried several times to make GTA 5 to work so I ended up with 3 dud installs which I manually deleted using the steps above.

      Again, I hope that helps man.

      Delete
    6. Thank you for your invaluable input and kind cooperation. I really appreciate that ! Fixing the duplicate path names definitely helped. The game finally started and got as far as the opening scene. It did not crash. It simply froze - although it was apparently accessing both the disk-on-key and the HD. I quit the game after about 15 minutes of waiting at the same point.

      The only idea I have at the moment is to download the [COMPLEX] version which apparently works for you. Thanks again for your great help !

      Delete
  4. I've configured my Usb (16 gb) within the xbox settings but now I can't copy the files to my USB because it's no space. What can I do now ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. no space? zzzz extract disk 1 first lol.. 1 by 1.. how can u put 16gb++ to usb dat store only 16gb... zzzz

    ReplyDelete
  6. what's the use of the "DVD extract" under settings of FS3?? my console was 500gb dual mod (CD/jtag).. i bought that game but i cant play and even install it.. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DVD Extract is a built-in utility to extract the contents of your DVD to any location of your choice (internal HD, external USB drive, etc). The files extracted will be readable by FS3

      Delete
  7. hi, i ve been suffering to play this game... :( let me see if i got this right, when we extract disc one, we create a new folder temp in our external drive disk, and when we extract the disk 2 we extract it in our external hhd again (thats where i have all my other games), then we copy the folder content disc one to the usb?? right... and then can we delete the temp folder created in the hdd? and doesnt mess with hdd and the xbox creating a new folder in the hdd external,

    apologies for my english... i tried to look for a solution in spanish pages but nothing, nothing at least with an external hdd, i got an external hdd 500gb im a bit worried if i create a new folder in this hdd i can mess the FSD... :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Disc 2 contents should go to where you normally store your games. This drive is usually just FAT32 formatted and can be any size

      Disc 1 contents should go into your internal HDD (if you have one) or a separate USB disk that has been formatted using your XBOX 360 console

      I have not found a way to have the XBOX 360 console read both Disc 1 and Disc 2 contents if they are both located on one HDD.

      Delete
    2. Can someone help. I am trying to figure out out to get gta v iso file. I put the game into my laptop drive then I use imgburn to copy the disc to a file It will copy but it doesn't copy to .iso file. It does it to (data image file). What can I do to change this. I am using window 7 home edition. And I've tried a bunch of iso programs. Still nothing will make it ( ------.iso). What can I do. Thank you very much.

      Delete
  8. hallo there,
    got a question,
    i installing gta5 from dvd. (pirate one)
    copy disc 1 content to internal hdd content files.
    then copy disc 2 using fsd dvd extraxt
    then i hit play it say "the game couldn't start, try downloading the game again"
    does i do anything wrong anywhere?

    ps:
    my console jtag jasper
    internal hdd 120gb
    external hd 500gb
    fsd 3
    fake live already enable

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi I'm not sure why you would need to follow this tutorial when you have the physical, albeit pirated, discs. Your JTAG/RGH console should be able to read your discs without the need to follow the steps above. As far as I know, just install Disc 1 onto your internal 120GB drive and then use Disc 2 to play.

      Delete
  9. bro i ve bought a pirated gta 5 dvds for xbox 360 each dvd is of 8.5 gb it means 16gb or more than it but while opening dvd it shows that both dvd contains only 48mb data 1st i think the problem is in dvd but i changed it but i still the same prblem .actully i want to copy full 16gb files.help please

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can someone help. I am trying to figure out out to get gta v iso file. I put the game into my laptop drive then I use imgburn to copy the disc to a file It will copy but it doesn't copy to .iso file. It does it to (data image file). What can I do to change this. I am using window 7 home edition. And I've tried a bunch of iso programs. Still nothing will make it ( ------.iso). What can I do. Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. not working... plz i dont now what to do anymore tried this for 100 times...
    the game run for like 10sec and the xbox resset every time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and btw when i Configure flash drive to my xbox i need to use all space or just mini?...
      cuz cant copy gta disk 1 to my flash drive when i use it all

      Delete
  13. I might try this tutorial since we have almost the same problem. I tried a tutorial which said to use iso2god but I also had online profile error same as you did.
    BUT do I really need a 16gb usb? Because I dont have that and I need to buy. Or is there any other way to do it? I have an xbox 360 4gb jtag 16202 version and a 350 gb external hard drive where I play my games. And its already fat 32.
    I hope you could help Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. thanks, it's working. ha ha ha so glad ^o^

    ReplyDelete
  15. I want share my experience.I am trying to figure out out to get gta v iso file. I put the game into my laptop drive then I use imgburn to copy the disc to a file It will copy but it doesn't copy to .iso file. It does it to (data image file). What can I do to change this. I am using window 7 home edition.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks man! It worked with the QUACK version.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Worked like a charm ... tried n Xbo 360 slim (4 GB) and 32 GB pen drive. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. will u plz share how u did it, i have been playing single disk games with my external drives, i have extracted disk 2 where i save all games and copied disk1 content folder to disk 2, do i need usb thumb drive to, cant i play using only single external hard drive

      Delete
  18. My Xbox restarts as soon as I start the game please help

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello! I spent 4 hs or so trying to learn how to deal with and HDD and my new RGH xbox.. And my best option for best game was GTA V. Awesome. Anyhow, i got it to work up until the point where the game starts.. and asks me for "an online account to play". Cool. So i activated Fake Live, and restart the game. Now it is stuck at "Waiting for cloud" thingy. I'm ready to throw it off the window. Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. single disk games are working fine but playing multi disk games are tricky, i have asked some1 for help, having same prob like but i was not asked online a/c, game crashed when it says do not turn off console when this icon appears,if u found any solution then plz share it wid me too, i will do d same.

      Delete
  20. hi,i have tryed many tutorials and guides i have exact same setup and i let me tell u how i do it, i copy gta 5 cd1 content to usbmu then i copy whole cd2 into usbmu and in usbmu i have content file from cd1 and game file which comtains cd 2 but i still get crash at the start

    ReplyDelete

Bottom Ad [Post Page]