is connected to your whine bone...

Full width home advertisement

Post Page Advertisement [Top]


As a touch of irony, I had to use my older tutorial on updating the XBOX 360 dashboard in order to play the latest game in my library, Shadow Of Mordor. Things went well but upon boot-up my system now boots into the default XBOX 360 dashboard instead of Freestyle Dash 3 :( I tried all fixes I found online (mostly editing the launch.ini file which used to work) but have had no luck yet.

So the only workaround that's working for me is to use XEXMENU to run Freestyle Dash; a tedious process indeed. Anyway here is an updated tutorial on how to update your dashboard to the latest version (17150 at the time of writing) using the latest version too of JRunner.

>>How to put XexMenu into your RGH/JTAG via USB tutorial<<

MY SETUP

+ XBOX 360 4GB Arcade JTAG/RGH (I was led to believe my console was JTAG but I've also seen signs that it could actually be RGH).
+ Dashboard version was 16203 (to be updated to the latest version).
Freestyle Dash 3 running from 1 TB external hard drive FAT32-formatted.
DISCLAIMER: If your setup is not exactly or at least very similar to mine, I cannot answer for any errors or damage your console may incur.


APPS/UTILITIES REQUIRED

Simple 360 NAND Flasher - For dumping and updating your dashboard.
JRunner - For creating a new dashboard update. Extract all files to any location on your PC.

OTHER REQUIREMENTS

+ FAT32 formatted USB drive




STEP ONE: Dumping Your NAND (that sounds nasty)


* Grab the Simple 360 NAND Flasher from the link above. Now, unpack the Simple 360 NAND Flasher folder to the root of your external FAT32 USB drive. You should end up with something like this (E:\Simple 360 NAND Flasher\)
* Head over to your XBOX 360 and boot your console into Freestyle 3.
* Use the File Manager utility in FS3 to browse to the Simple 360 NAND Flasher directory,. Next, highlight default.xex then press A to start the program.
sorry this is a screencap from an older version of Simple 360 NAND Flasher but it will look essentially the same as the latest version

* Press X as it says and the utility will quickly dump or copy your NAND to your USB drive - the file will be called flashdump.bin. Mine only took 16 seconds.


STEP TWO: Creating A New NAND Image


* Back on your PC, insert your USB drive, fire up JRunner, and update to the latest version if there is an option in the menu bar that says "New Version Available" . The latest version of JRunner is so much simpler to use in that you really just need to point it to the NAND file you created and then create your updated NAND file.




* Click on the Load Source button and navigate to the flashdump.bin file we created in the previous step and select it.
* The magic of the latest JRunner is that it will find all the necessary info you need such as the CPU key, the motherboard version (mine is Trinity), and the type of system mod you have (RGH or JTAG).
* Next, in the XeBuild section, click on the Dash Version drop down menu and select Add Dash
* A small pop-up window will appear with a list of dashboard versions. Scroll down to the latest one (17150 at the time of writing) and then click Add Dashes. JRunner will now download the latest dashpack for you. Amazing!
* Once the download is done, click on the Create XeBuild Image button near the top of the application window to create your updated NAND file.
* Now find the updated NAND file called updflash.bin. This should appear in a sub-folder (mine was called 000273203108) within the JRunner application folder. Copy the updflash.bin file into the "Simple 360 NAND Flasher" folder of your USB drive. So in that folder you should have both the "flashdump.bin" and "updflash.bin" files. Cool? Let's move on.


STEP THREE: Updating Your NAND

* Go back to your XBOX console and like in step one, open up Simple 360 NAND Flasher by going into its folder, selecting default.xex, and pressing A.
* You will be greeted by slightly different screen this time.

again sorry for the outdated screengrab but trust me it will look essentially the same as with the latest version
* Press A to overwrite your NAND with the one we created in step two. This should only take about 30 seconds.
* Once done it will say that the system will reboot in 5 seconds.
* Boot up your console again and your XBOX 360 Dashboard will now be updated to the latest supported version.

Hooray!!!

Please let me know if your system now also boots into the default XBOX 360 dashboard instead of the FreeStyle Dash and if you've found a way to get it back to booting into FS3 by default.

13 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Darn. Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately I deleted all my files already as I recently sold my XBOX 360. :(

      Delete
  2. KINECT didnot work. how to fix?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually xbox ask for update for kinect. how?

      Delete
  3. Sorry for my bad english,
    my xbox cant detect my usb,do you know how to fix this problem?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I updated it and know its opening the original menu,and i cant open the freestyle dash menu what do i dooo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, mine was also booting to the ms dash. What I did was follow the instructions from the 3rd post (Noobert) here: http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/threads/my-rgh-is-on-a-loop.1345067/ and now eveything is running fine. I updated FS3 to Aurora and am very happy with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the update!
    I updated to 17439 without problems and it boots straight to FSD.

    To boot straight into FSD
    In the topright section you have 5 tabs:
    - XeBuild
    - XB Settings
    - Patches/Dashlaunch
    - Update Mode
    - Client Mode

    Go to tab "Patches/Dashlaunch"
    Make sure the following 2 checkboxes are checked: "Use DashLaunch" AND "Include Launch.ini", then:
    1) Press button "Launch .ini options"
    2) Go to tab "Paths" and in the inputfield "Default" enter the correct path to your freestyle defualt.xex file. In my situation it is: Hdd:\FreeStyle\default.xex
    I have FSD on my "internal" HDD installed (I prefer it that way although I read somewhere it was not advised to set the path to FSD in your NAND. But I have no idea what the better/alternative way is)

    My thanks again for your effort in making this available for us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Somehow dash 17489 did not appear in the list of selectable dashes.
    I also assumed dashlauch V3.15 was the latest which works with 17439.
    I stumbled upon V3.16 of dashlaunch which stated that it works with 17489, I started Jrunner again and 17489 appeared...

    I did a reflash, this time I did not check "Use Dashlaunch" and "Launch.ini" (can be found in top right, under tab "Patches/Dashlaunch".)
    I got a better view of how things works (not that difficult in hindsight) and decided to let everything be done through the dashlaunch "launch.ini". I assume by checking "Use Dashlaunch" and "Launch.ini" in jrunner you hardcode these parameters within the nand which you then use to flash the console.

    After watching a few tutorials about dashlaunch, I figured out that it is better to do it through dashlaunch. Now I have Aurora running which seems to update the covers better then FSD (the service to auto-update covers in FSD isn't used anymore I assume? (jqe360)).

    Most of It actually speaks for itselves.
    Copy FSD and/or Aurora using xexmenu to whatever location.
    Use dashluanch to point to those location(s).
    Activate FTP and block live etc.. within dashlaunch setup and in the mainscreen use the "install this" to copy DL30 to whatever location you want so you can quickly access the dashlaunch setup whenever you want.

    Anyway...it works...

    Again my thanks for providing this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. After the boot I have 3 red flashing lights. Nothing snaps it back, Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  9. My xbox has no hard drive and only runs from a 1 TB external hard drive. will this method work for my xbox or will I need to do something different. Please advise.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello my xbox is banned after doing this whenever i sign in to my profile it says you are banned from xbox live please tell what to do

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello I am getting the following error:

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/vsjschv4y5100m3/File%2007-04-17%2C%208%2017%2019%20PM.jpeg?dl=0

    ReplyDelete

Bottom Ad [Post Page]