is connected to your whine bone...

Full width home advertisement

Post Page Advertisement [Top]

Batman Theme Music. Stop what you're doing right now and concentrate on those three words and tell me what you hear in your head. The answer will more than likely depend on your age because for me, a guy born in 1978, the Batman I grew up with, at least cinema-wise, is Michael Keaton and Tim Burton's (and effectively Danny Elfman's) Batman from 1989. So to this fan, THE quintessential Batman theme is none other than:

BATMAN (1989) music composed by Danny Elfman

Some of you may know that I collect Batman memorabilia, more specifically toys and figures. I cannot recount the number of times I caught myself humming Danny Elfman's score while cleaning my collectibles. The hook is just damn catchy and memorable and I have to say it can be placed on the same distinction level as the great classics of John Williams such as the themes to Jaws, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and Superman.

Of course, there are other significant and dare I say it, iconic Batman theme music to be considered here so let's count 'em all down chronologically. Note: This list only pertains to the main Batman-theme and not the entire score or soundtrack

BATMAN (1966 TV Series) music composed by Neil Hefti

I only caught the reruns of this show as a kid but of course it was the only Batman show around at the time so I ate it up like the rest of the world did. There's no denying the simplicity of this score is what makes it great and almost anyone will recognize it within a few seconds of hearing the almost surfer music guitar riff.

BATMAN WITH ROBIN THE BOY WONDER (1969 TV Series)


THE NEW ADVENTURES OF BATMAN (1977 TV Series)

I actually have only vague memories of this cartoon but I do remember this intro fairly vividly. As for the music well it's hardly noticeable with the voice overs of Adam West and Burt Ward.

BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES (1991 TV Series) music composed by Danny Elfman

Danny Elfman was hired to do the theme music once again for Batman: The Animated Series. He retooled his original score from 1989's Batman but kept the overall march feel of the music.

THE ADVENTURES OF BATMAN & ROBIN (1994 TV Series) music composed by Shirley Walker

Shirley Walker originally wrote the theme for Batman: The Animated Series but when Danny Elfman was brought on board, the producers decided to use his music instead. When the series changed it's name to The Adventures of Batman & Robin, Walker's score was used, as well as with the latter series The New Batman Adventures.

BATMAN FOREVER (1995) music composed by Elliot Goldenthal

The change in direction for the Batman movie franchise from the gothic tones of Burton's world to the "we need to sell more toys, damnit!" mantra of Warner Bros. meant Elfman was also out as music composer and replaced with Elliot Goldenthal. With the toy-centric theme in mind, Goldenthal was quoted in an interview saying he got the idea for the main Batman theme when he thought of the music children would make up and hum while they played with their action figures. Listen to the score and you will definitely hear what he's talking about.

BATMAN BEYOND (1999 TV Series) music composed by Kristofer Carter

I admit I hated this music when it first came out. In fact I hated the concept of Batman Beyond at first too. I couldn't get over the fact that Bruce wasn't Batman anymore. Hey, I was pretty closed-minded about Batsy for a long time. Anyway I learned to love the series and the music also grew on me. It's definitely a product of its time with its Rock/Metal/Techno/Industrial roots.

THE BATMAN (2004 TV Series) music by The Edge


I am not a fan of U2 and I think that The Edge is an overrated guitar player. To learn he did the music for this series really surprised me but now that I know it, I can't unhear it. So now I dislike the score even more :)

BATMAN BEGINS (2005) music by Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard

I wasn't used to superhero scores being a bit military-like ala the music from The Rock (which of course Hanz Zimmer had a part in composing). I felt the music didn't have that catchy riff I was looking for. Of course over time I learned to like it but still, gimme them big catchy hooks anytime!

THE DARK KNIGHT (2008) music by Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard


Zimmer and Howard continue the military driven theme for 2008's The Dark Knight. It's fairly enjoyable with its string build-ups and big percussive moments.

BATMAN: THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD (2008 TV Series) music by Andy Sturmer

I never got to watch this much loved take on Batman but it surely is on my to-do list. I only discovered the music for the show through the research for this article. The choice for a 60s spy movie feel soundtrack was pretty inspired and seems a great fit for the tone of the show.

THE DARK KNIGHT RISES (2012) music by Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard

The overall theme for The Dark Knight Rises seems to have changed slightly from its predecessor but I have to say I like the score for The Dark Knight more especially the unorthodox theme for Joker.

BEWARE THE BATMAN (2013 TV Series) music by Dum Dum Girls

This one is definitely on the or near the bottom of my list of choices for Batman theme music. Seems quite out of place but maybe it was a slight homage to the camp 60's Adam West Batman TV series?

BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE (2016) music by Hans Zimmer and Junkie XL

The most recent Batman score just doesn't do it for me. I find it to be generic sounding like most of the other "epic" movie soundtracks we hear these days (I keep thinking of the music in 300 and those types). The overdone vocal chorus just doesn't make me think "Batman". Sorry Mr. Zimmer and Mr. XL. I hope with the departure of director Zach Snyder and Geoff Johns taking over with his "hopeful" mantra that we get a totally new direction for the score as well.

1 comment:

Bottom Ad [Post Page]